HP, in their wisdom, decided that a standard laptop BIOS update should sound like you're bricking your device. So, I'm posting this here so it will get picked up by Google and people don't need to freak out as much as I did. My experience was I ran the BIOS update, the machine started beeping with the screen blank and then I panicked, trying to figure out what I should do. After a bit of work, I found out that this is completely normal for these laptops, for this BIOS update. It is not normal in the world of systems BIOS updates, by any means.
Comment here if you have the same or a different experience.
- Run BIOS update
- Warning about bitlocker being suspended temporarily.
- Update completes
- Machine reboots automatically
- Screen blanks
- 2 long beeps, 2 short beeps x 5
- 1 long beep, 2 short beeps
- 2 long beeps, 2 short beeps x 4
- Reboot x 2
- Full, white screen notification of DXE update
- Back to Windows login