VPNs as an Enabler
Yes, desktops can VPN too, especially in the days of 100% WFH because of Covid quarantining and "safe distancing". Companies are just as likely to ship a desktop to a person's home to establish a home office when people are WFH.
Remote Access Solution #1: Decentralized Broad Internet Access Creates Problems
Remote Access Solution #2: Centralizing Network Security Monitoring is Popular
- Network traffic monitoring through IDS/IPS
- Basic firewalling, blocking general network access to both local networks and the Internet, since you won't know whether or not the laptop is in a hostile airport or hotel network or an unmaintained home network.
- Category-based and specific URL blocking/permissions/reporting
- "next gen" firewall application security capabilities, monitoring application layer traffic
- network monitoring for data loss prevention (DLP) capabilities